Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Pakkavada/ Ribbon Pakoda

Recipe No: 163
If you go through my snack list, you will surely realize that I am a great fan of Kerala snacks. Almost all of them are from my Mother’s kitchen….the snacks that I grew up eating and no change about this one too. To my amazement now my daughter likes most of these savory or slightly hot snacks and I definitely want her to know these tastes.... which I hope, one day she will pass on to her kids!!!
Ingredients
  • Besan/ Chick Pea Flour…………….1 ½ Cups
  • Red Chilly Powder……………………2 Tablespoons
  • Salt………………………………………..3/4 Teaspoon
  • Asafoetida/ Kayam Powder………1/8 Teaspoon
  • Water…………………………………….1/2 Cup
  • Curry Leaves………………………….A few sprigs 
  • Oil for deep frying
Method of Preparation
  1. Heat at least 2 inches of Oil in a pan on medium high heat.
  2. Mix together Besan, Red Chilly Powder, Salt and Asafoetida really well and make a wet dough using ½ Cup (approximately) Water.
  3. Make the Idiyappam maker ready with the attachment that has long holes.
  4. Fill the Idiyappam maker with the prepared dough. This is very sticky, so please wet your hands with water to reduce the stickiness.
  5. Press the dough into the hot Oil moving your hands to fill the pan. Don’t over crowd.
  6. Fry it until crispy turning in between . Half way through add some Curry leaves into the frying Oil.
  7. Drain the excess Oil in a paper towel and once cooled break it into pieces of desired length.
  8. Serve it with a cup of Tea and store the leftovers in air tight containers.
Notes:
  • A  medium high heat is essential for making Pakkavada. If the heat is too less it will absorb a lot of Oil and if too high it will burn.
  • I used Red Chilly Powder which is moderately hot. So if you are using one which is really hot, reduce its amount according to your taste.Curry Leaves will give its slight taste to Pakkavada which, I really like.
  • The process of frying a batch won’t take long, possibly between 3-5 minutes. When you take it out of the hot Oil it will be still a bit soft but crisps up within minutes.
 



Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
serve it to your family with love…

0 comments:

Post a Comment