- Matta Rice……………………1/2 Cup (Red Parboiled Rice)
- Water…………………………..4 Cups
- Freshly grated Coconut…1/2 Cup (Frozen is okay, but don’t use desiccated)
- Thick Coconut Milk……...1 ½ Cup (Dilute with some Water if you are using really thick Milk from a can)
- Salt as needed
- Wash the Rice thoroughly and cook it together with the Water in a Pressure cooker till done. (It took 3 whistles in my cooker.)
- Once the Pressure is gone, open the lid and let it boil on medium heat. (If there is no Water remaining at all, do add ½ cup Water.)
- Add Salt, grated Coconut and Coconut Milk; let it boil on medium low heat, stirring often, for 5-8 minutes or till it is reduced to a consistency you need.
- Add more Salt if needed; switch off the heat and let it sit covered for 10 minutes before serving it hot or warm with desired sides.
- You can use any Rice that you make regular Kanji, for this too. (White Par boiled Rice is fine.) But adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Don't cook the Rice to a mushy consistency in the cooker; the extend you cook the Rice to make regular boiled Rice is what we are looking for. It will finish cooking in the Coconut Milk.
- Do give the resting period for Pal Kanji as mentioned in the recipe, for it is essential to cook the Rice to a 'Kanji' consistency.
- Pal Kanji has a tendency to thicken as it sits. So if it becomes too thick by the time you serve, do add some hot Water to make it into the consistency you like.
- The amount of Salt should be enough so that the Pal Kanji can be eaten as such without any sides.
Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love…