Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Radish Pickle

Recipe No: 282
This is one of those recipes that came into life as a desperate attempt to save some Radishes that were left behind in my vegetable bin just before we moved to Atlanta. It stayed good for a long time and was a real help during the movement.
The inspiration for this recipe is the Carrot Pickle featured in one of my favorite blog Mishmash. As Radish contains lot more Water, it requires a different treatment than that of Carrots. So here is it…
Ingredients
  • Radish……...............3 Cups (wash; cut off both ends and slice into thin long pieces)
  • Salt……………………..1 Teaspoon
To Saute
  • Oil……………………….2 Tablespoons (I used Vegetable Oil)
  • Mustard Seeds……..1/2 Teaspoon
  • Garlic…….…….........2 Tablespoons (cut into thin, long slices)
  • Ginger……...............1 Tablespoon (cut into thin, long slices)
  • Green Chilly……......3 Tablespoons (cut into thin, long slices)
  • Vinegar……………....1/4 Cup
  • Sugar………………….1/4 Teaspoon
Method of Preparation
  1. Mix Radish and Salt; keep aside for 20 minutes. (By this time Water from the Radish will be oozing out.)
  2. Squeeze the Radish really good; discard the excess liquid and keep aside.
  3. Heat Oil in a pan on medium high flame and splutter the Mustard Seeds.
  4. Add Garlic, Ginger and Green Chilly; sauté for a minute or till slightly wilted.
  5. Add the Radish; mix well and off the heat immediately.
  6. Mix in the Vinegar and Sugar. (Add Salt only if needed; most of the Salt that was added to the Radish will go while squeezing them and the remaining will give enough Saltiness to the pickle.)
  7. When cooled, store in an airtight container.
Notes:
  • Even though this pickle is good to serve the day it is made, I think it tastes better the second day.
  • Don't leave the Radish in the heat for a long time as it may reduce its crunchiness. 
  • Do adjust the amount of Vinegar according to your taste. (But the amount given in the recipe is good for mine.)
 





Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
serve it to your family with love…


6 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp,mouthwatering here,delicious pickle.

Faseela said...

lovely..........colorful pickle...

Julie said...

Very colorful pickle,healthy as well..

Erivum Puliyum

Priya dharshini said...

healthy and colorful pickle...i luv this kind of pickles than spicy ones..

Anzz said...

Excellent recipe. A great way to add radish to my meals..! Lovely recipe..

My event- Valentines Day Special

Amy said...

tried it and was really good

Post a Comment