When I came first to US some of my husband’s friends made a request to make a spicy chicken dish. So I made this spicy red chilly and soy chicken that I used to see my mother in law make. Accidentally it was a bit too spicy then but because of the taste most of them ate to their stomach full! They called this dish ‘Chicken 007’ and so do me from then onwards!!!
Ingredients Serves 6
- Chicken (without skin) cut, washed and drained…1 kg
- Red Chilly powder…….3/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder……..!/2 teaspoon
- Salt……………………………3/4 teaspoon
- Onion cut into thin long slice………4 cups
- Red Chilly powder……1 ½ -2 teaspoons
- Ginger-Garlic paste….3 Tablespoons
- Dark Soy Sauce…………3 Tablespoons
- Garam masala powder...1 teaspoon
- Vegetable Oil...............6-7 Tablespoons
Method of preparation
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients given in the marinade section and keep aside for 1/2 hour.
- In a large pan add 2 Tablespoons of oil and saute the Onions till it gets golden brown. (Instead of this you can also use fried onions.) Remove it from the pan and keep it aside.
- In the same pan on high heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil and fry (shallow fry) the chicken pieces. (If you are using a good nonstick pan then you won’t need more than 3 Tablespoons of oil. If not you may need a bit more oil) you don’t have to fry it till done. A small brown color will do.
- Remove the fried chicken pieces from the pan and keep it aside.
- Put the heat on low and to the same pan add 1 Tablespoon of oil and add red chilly powder. Saute it till the raw smell goes and fried a bit, taking care not to burn.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste to the chilly powder and saute again till the raw smell goes.
- When the raw smell is gone add the fried chicken, fried onions and two cups of water and let the chicken cook till done and the gravy is thickened for about 30 to 40 min. Make sure the heat is on medium.
- When the Chicken is cooked add soy sauce and homemade Garam masala. Check the seasoning at this point and adjust the salt. Let it boil for another minute or two and then switch off the stove.