Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Monday, November 15, 2010

Mixed Chinese Fried Rice

Recipe No: 122
I had already posted two types of Fried Rice. Now this is entirely different in taste from both of them. I am writing this recipe as a mixed one containing Chicken, Beef, Shrimp, Sausage and Egg. But if you want to take any of these out, please feel free to do so and customize it according to your taste, it will be as perfect as this one. 
As I always used to write in fried rice recipes, this dish will be easy to make if cold rice is used. And another thing that I have to mention is the Soy Sauce that I am using. It’s dark Soy which is essential in this recipe for both color and taste.

Ingredients                                                          Serves 8
  • Jasmine Rice………………....2 ½ Cups (If Jasmine Rice is not available use Basmati)
  • Chicken…............................1 Cup (Cooked and shredded)
  • Shrimp…………………........…3/4 Cups (Sprinkle a pinch of Salt and Pepper; fry lightly)
  • Hot Dog Sausage……...........2 (Slice thinly and fry lightly)
  • Egg………………………........…3 (Beat and scramble)
  • Beef………………………..........1/4 Cup (Sliced thin and cook with Salt and Pepper)
  • Chopped vegetables…........1 ½ Cups (I used Carrots, Onion, Beans, Capsicum and fresh Green Peas)
  • Celery Chopped fine…........3 Tablespoons
  • Green Onions Chopped......5 (Separate Whites and Greens)
  • Oil……………………..………....4 Tablespoons
  • Ginger and Garlic chopped...1/3 cup together(Take equal quantities of both)
  • Dark Soy Sauce……………….2 Tablespoons (I used Ching’s Secret Dark Soy Sauce)
  • Pepper and Salt as per taste
Method of Preparation
To cook the Rice
  1. Wash and soak the Rice for 20 minutes.
  2. Boil at least 10 cups of water.
  3. Once the water is boiled add the Rice and cook till it is just cooked. Take care not to overcook.
  4. Drain, let cool and then chill in the refrigerator.
To make the Fried Rice
  1. Keep all the ingredients specially the non vegetarian items  ready before you start cooking. Because once you start, everything goes into the pan within minutes.
  2. Heat Oil in a wide pan on high heat and add Ginger, Garlic, Spring Onion Whites and Celery and saute for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the Vegetables and continue sauteing for a minute. The Vegetables should be still crisp.
  4. Add Rice, all the non vegetarian items, Soy Sauce, Pepper and Spring Onion Greens and mix thoroughly.
  5. Do a taste test and add enough Salt.
  6. Mix thoroughly; switch off the flame and serve hot garnished with Spring Onion Greens.
Notes:
  • As soon as the rice is drained well, spread it on a big tray. Or the Rice at the bottom will be mashed and become lumpy.
  • The Shrimp that I used were big, so I sliced them lengthwise along the slit that was put to remove the vein, into two. This will cook them fast too.
  • Add enough Salt so that you can eat the Rice by itself.
  • It’s necessary to use dark Soy Sauce in this recipe and Ching’s Secret Dark Soy Sauce is available in almost all Indian stores.






Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love...

0 comments:

Post a Comment