Method of Canning
- Wash the cans and the lids in warm water. Put all these in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Take the cans and the lids out and while hot fill them with Preserves or Jams or Jellies leaving 1 inch space on the top of the can.
- With a damp paper towel, wipe off the excess from rim and the outer sides of the can.
- Put the lids on and tighten it.
- Place these cans back in the boiling water, close the boiling water with a lid and let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let it stand in the water for 5 minutes.
- Take the cans out of the water and check whether they are sealed by pressing the top of the lid. If the lid is tight, it is sealed. If you can feel the lid going down, then it is not sealed. Mostly it will seal with a ‘thud’ noise within minutes. If not boil it till it is sealed.
- Once cooled, store these in a cool dry place like a cupboard. Open when necessary and once opened it is better to store the rest in the refrigerator.