Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms

Recipe No: 94
This is my take on stuffed Mushrooms, which is an excellent appetizer.  Instead of  ricotta cheese, I am filling the Mushrooms with Chicken. A hind of Garam Masala makes it closer to my heart. If you are a Vegetarian, substitute Chicken with sauteed vegetables.
Ingredients                                      Makes 12
  • Mushrooms………………………...8 oz or 12 no (I used baby Portobello but white Button Mushroom will be perfect)
  • Oil…………………………….……....2 Tablespoons
  • Chopped Onion………………......1/3 Cup
  • Garlic Chopped……………...…...1 Big Clove
  • Chicken cubed…………………....1/2 Cup (cooked)
  • Pepper Powder………………......1/4 Teaspoon
  • Garam Masala Powder…....…..1/4 Teaspoon
  • Soy Sauce………………………..….1 Teaspoon
  • Shredded Mozzarella Cheese…1/2 Cup
  • Salt as per needed
Method of Preparation
  1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F/204˚C.
  2. Carefully remove the stems of the Mushrooms without tearing the Mushroom caps.
  3. Clean the caps and the stems thoroughly. In this recipe there is no need to take the skins away. I would like to give a quick wash on the top of the cap and pat the excess water and dirt away, if there are any.
  4. Clean and chop the Mushroom stems and keep it aside till ready to be used.
  5. Arrange the cleaned Mushroom caps on a baking tray lined with oiled Aluminum foil (makes clean up easy) and drizzle some oil on the caps. I would like to start baking with the convex side of the Mushroom cap facing up.
  6. Give it a light sprinkle of Salt and Pepper and let it roast in the oven for 10 minutes, turning once in between so that by the end of roasting the concave side of the Mushroom  will be facing up, ready to be filled.
  7. While the Mushrooms are roasting in the oven, utilize the time by making the filling.
  8. Heat a tablespoon of Oil in a pan on medium heat, add chopped Onion and garlic and saute till the onions are translucent.
  9. Add the chopped Mushroom stems and saute for 2-3 minutes.
  10. Add chopped Chicken, Pepper Powder, Garam Masala Powder, Soy sauce and Salt if needed and mix well. Switch off the flame and keep aside till ready to be used.
  11. Once the Mushrooms are roasted, fill the Caps with the filling. Spread the shredded Cheese on top of the filling.
  12. Adjust the oven to a broil mode (high).
  13. Put the stuffed Mushroom in the oven on second or third rack from the top.
  14. Broil it for two minutes or till the Cheese is melted and browned here and there. Serve hot.
Notes:
  • I love to serve it on top of shredded Cabbage dressed with Salt, Pepper and a bit of Vinegar. The crunch from the Cabbage gives an added texture to the Mushrooms.
 




Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and 
serve it to your family with love...

0 comments:

Post a Comment