Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Friday, October 1, 2010

Dry Shrimp and Coconut Stir Fry/ Unakka Konchu Thoran

Recipe No: 88
Unakka Konchu thoran used to be a part of Christian feasts back in the days before Cabbage started taking its place. So whenever my mother prepares a big feast for elder people, she makes this and almost all the time she gets good comments. So recently when I visited an Asian store, I came across this good and clean dried shrimp which awoke my memories on this preparation. To my amazement this didn't give that sharp smell caused by dried fishes and I should say it tasted awesome too… So here it goes a recipe straight from my mother’s kitchen…
Ingredients                                    Serves 6-8
  • Clean Dry Shrimp…………..100gms./ 3.5oz/ 1 Cup
  • Dry Red Chilly………………..2
  • Coconut Grated……………...1 Cup
  • Turmeric Powder…………...1/2 Teaspoon
  • Green Chilly…………………..4-5 (Depending on your heat tolerance)
  • Shallots sliced………………...1/2 Cup
  • Ginger Chopped……………..1 Teaspoon
  • Garlic Clove…………………...1 Large
  • Coconut Oil…………………….1 ½ Tablespoons
  • Curry Leaves………………….2 Sprigs
  • Salt as per taste
Method of Preparation
  1. Wash the Dried Shrimp really good by rubbing it in water at least three times and drain really good by squeezing.
  2. Grind together Dry red Chilly, Coconut, Turmeric Powder, Green Chilly, Shallots, Salt, Ginger and Garlic well.
  3. To this add the Shrimp and grind once more so that some of the Shrimp is crushed and some are left whole.
  4. Put all these into a pan together with Curry leaves and salt, add ½ cup of water, close the pan and cook this on high heat till it boils and then reduce the flame and cook till all the water is absorbed.
  5. Once cooked add the Coconut oil and some crushed Curry leaves on top, close the pan and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
  6. Serve hot with rice.
Notes:
  • Cleaning whole dried Shrimp can be done in two ways. One is that you can pick the head and appendages directly. Another way is heating it in a pan without any oil till it is hot and then crush it lightly with your hands; the head and the appendages will separate easily.
  • Be careful while adding salt as the dried shrimp may be salty at times.





Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love…

0 comments:

Post a Comment