I have no idea how many times I made this for my friends in California. I did make this with Rum and Brandy; both have different tastes but very yummy. Another factor is that this will have the maximum taste only if you flambé (setting alcohol on fire) it. That gives the alcohol flavor and a great texture to this dessert that is usually served with Vanilla Ice-cream.
- Banana………………..3 Small/ 1 ½ big ones (I used big Robusta type Banana)
- Butter…………….......2 Tablespoons
- Brown Sugar……....2 Tablespoons
- Brandy/ Rum….…..1 ½ Tablespoons
- Ice Cream…………...2-3 Scoops
- Slice the Banana into 2 (if small) or into 4 (if big; cut into two and split each part into two). Keep aside till ready to be used.
- Melt Butter and Brown Sugar in a pan on medium heat.
- Once melted, arrange the Banana slices in a layer and cook for a minute on both sides.
- Add the Brandy/ Rum and with a lighter set the Alcohol on fire (It will go off once the Alcohol is burned out, which takes like 20-30 seconds.), a process called Flambé.
- Once the flame is over, switch off the stove and serve it warm with cold Vanilla Ice-cream.
- I used Robosta type Banana, which is larger in size, but you can use any soft variety Banana(Pazham). But dont use Plantain (Ethakka).
- It is very important that the Banana slices have to be arranged in a single layer to ensure proper and even cooking.
- Use ripe but firm Bananas for this preparation. If too ripe, please reduce the cooking time.
- If Brown Sugar is not available for you, please do use regular Sugar but wait till it caramelize a bit giving the dish a light brown color.
- Don’t pour Alcohol directly from the bottle into a hot pan to avoid the Alcohol in the bottle from catching fire.
- As the Alcohol burns inside the pan, it is better to use a stainless steel one for making this.
- You can set the Alcohol on fire with the help of a lighter or by slightly tipping the pan to let the Alcohol catch fire from the flame of the stove (I prefer the first method). Eventhough the Alcohol is burned out, the flavor remains.
- When the Alcohol burns the heat will really melt all the ingredients in the pan making the juices very smooth and tasty. There is a huge difference if you flambé or not. Please do it; it is not dangerous as it sounds!!!
Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love…