Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Banana Foster

Recipe No: 260
I have no idea how many times I made this for my friends in California. I did make this with  Rum and Brandy; both have different tastes but very yummy. Another factor is that this will have the maximum taste only if you flambé (setting alcohol on fire) it. That gives the alcohol flavor and a great texture to this dessert that is usually served with Vanilla Ice-cream.
Ingredients                                         Serves 2
  • Banana………………..3 Small/ 1 ½ big ones (I used big Robusta type Banana)
  • Butter…………….......2 Tablespoons
  • Brown Sugar……....2 Tablespoons
  • Brandy/ Rum….…..1 ½ Tablespoons
  • Ice Cream…………...2-3 Scoops
Method of Preparation
  1. Slice the Banana into 2 (if small) or into 4 (if big; cut into two and split each part into two). Keep aside till ready to be used.
  2. Melt Butter and Brown Sugar in a pan on medium heat.
  3. Once melted, arrange the Banana slices in a layer and cook for a minute on both sides.
  4. Add the Brandy/ Rum and with a lighter set the Alcohol on fire (It will go off once the Alcohol is burned out, which takes like 20-30 seconds.), a process called Flambé.
  5. Once the flame is over, switch off the stove and serve it warm with cold Vanilla Ice-cream.
Notes:
  • I used Robosta type Banana, which is larger in size, but you can use any soft variety Banana(Pazham). But dont use Plantain (Ethakka).
  • It is very important that the Banana slices have to be arranged in a single layer to ensure proper and even cooking.
  • Use ripe but firm Bananas for this preparation. If too ripe, please reduce the cooking time.
  • If Brown Sugar is not available for you, please do use regular Sugar but wait till it caramelize a bit giving the dish a light brown color.
  • Don’t pour Alcohol directly from the bottle into a hot pan to avoid the Alcohol in the bottle from catching fire.
  • As the Alcohol burns inside the pan, it is better to use a stainless steel one for making this.
  • You can set the Alcohol on fire with the help of a lighter or by slightly tipping the pan to let the Alcohol catch fire from the flame of the stove (I prefer the first method). Eventhough the Alcohol is burned out, the flavor remains.
  • When the Alcohol burns the heat will really melt all the ingredients in the pan making the juices very smooth and tasty. There is a huge difference if you flambé or not. Please do it; it is not dangerous as it sounds!!!
 






Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love…

6 comments:

sojo said...

oooo... looks like I will try it....

Indian Khana said...

This looks so good wow ..

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, cant take my eyes from those delectable dessert,truly marvellous..

Mehjabeen Arif said...

Wow.. thats a nice dessert..

Kurinji said...

Yummy dear!
Kurinjikathambam, Event : HRH-Healthy Summer, Roundup : HRH-Puffed Rice

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Looks delicious....

Post a Comment