Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Monday, May 2, 2011

Sweet Corn Chicken Soup

Recipe No: 250
This is one of our favorite soups to have whenever we eat out in Kerala. Not only is this easy to make, but a bowl of this on a rainy day (like today) makes us so 'at home'...
Ingredients                                             Serves 3-4
  • Sweet Corn (cream style)….14.75 oz/ 418 grams
  • Butter……………………………..1 Tablespoon
  • Carrot chopped fine…………2 Tablespoons
  • Onion chopped fine………….2 Tablespoons
  • Celery chopped fine………….2 Tablespoons
  • Chicken stock………………....3 1/2 Cups (I used homemade; for recipe click here)
  • Cooked, shredded Chicken...1/2 Cup
  • Egg………………………………....1, beaten well with a tablespoon of Water
  • Light Soy Sauce…….............2 Teaspoons (I used Kikkoman; if using Indian dark Soy use 1 teaspoon)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Method of Preparation
  1. Heat Butter in a pan on medium heat and saute Onion, Celery and Carrots for a minute (don’t brown).
  2. Add Corn together with Chicken stock and let it cook for 5-8 minutes. (There are chances of boiling over if you are not using a big pan)
  3. Add Shredded Chicken, Salt, Pepper and Soy sauce; mix well.
  4. While the soup is rolling boiling, add the beaten Egg in a thin steady line from top while stirring continuously as I explained in Egg drop soup. (Read more about Egg Drop Soup here.)
  5. Once boiled again, look for seasonings; switch off the heat and serve it hot with a piece of crusty Bread.
Notes:
  • Cream Style corn is different from Creamed Corn. Cream style Corn from American grocery stores tend to be on the sweeter side, so if you can get it from an Indian grocery store it will be better for this Soup. If you have no problem with the sweetness, this does not matter or you can decrease the amount of corn used to reduce the sweetness.
  • Don't use regular Corn for this as it is not creamed.
  • The Egg, if poured like I mentioned above, will be cooked instantly and will stay in the Soup as very fine threads. It will thicken the Soup too.







Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love…

3 comments:

Miriam Korula said...

Hi Asha, the soup looks healthy n' tasty. This is my first time here n i'm surprised I have not stumbled on your blog before. Love the idea behind the blog n' the set of traditional kerala recipes here reminds me of what my granny used to make for me when I was child....I really found the movie Julie and Julia really inspiring too...:)

Apex Maize said...

Thats a beautiful and comforting soup.Wow luks Delicious,My daughters fav..

All Things Said & Unsaid said...

Very nice...Added a little corn flour for soup like consistency..!!!

Post a Comment