Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Fish Masala Bake

Recipe No: 27
I like this fish preparation a lot and so will you, I hope. Thanks to Becky, one of my aunties who was gracious enough to share this recipe with me.
Ingredients                                                                     Serves 4-5
To marinate
  • Salmon fillet…………………1 lb
  • Salt……………………………..1/2 Teaspoon
  • Pepper powder…………….1/2 Teaspoon
  • Lemon Juice…………………1 Tablespoon
  • Olive oil………………………..2 Tablespoons
To Saute
  • Onion sliced thin…………2 ½ cups
  • Curry leaves……………….2 sprigs
  • Ginger-Garlic paste…….1 Teaspoon
  • Fish Masala powder……1 ½ Teaspoon (I used Eastern Fish Masala)
  • Tomato sliced……………..1 small
  • Salt as per taste
  • Coriander leaves for garnishing
Method of Preparation
  1. Marinate the fish with the ingredients listed in the marinade section and keep aside for 20 minutes.
  2. Then bake it at 350˚F/180˚C for 20 minutes.
  3. While the fish is baking heat oil in a pan on medium high heat and saute the Onion, Curry leaves, Ginger-Garlic paste and salt until the onions are translucent.
  4. Add Fish Masala powder and saute for a minute followed by tomato.
  5. At this stage if you want gravy add ¼ cup water and if not leave the water out.
  6. Mix everything well and spread this mixture on both sides of the half cooked fish.
  7. Keep the fish back in the oven and let it finish cooking for another 30 minutes.
  8. Once done take the fish out of the oven, garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot over rice Chappathi or Roti.
Notes: If you don’t have Fish Masala you can substitute with your own Masala. I prefer to use ½ teaspoon Chilly powder, ¾ teaspoon Coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of Fenugreek powder.
Fishes with thick flesh are most suitable for this dish.
Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and serve it to your family with love…






2 comments:

Raga said...

Asha,
Tried this for last nght supper....Turned out very well...My husband loves fish fry....But I dont prefer as it consumes lots of oil....Never thought of baking earlier...Baking Fish is really good....No oil required and yummy tatste...Thanks for the nice receipe.
Can we do any thing to avoid smell from fish when cooking?

Asha said...

Raga...
These are some of the tips that our elders used to share with us. I don't have any scientific evidence for all these but I'll just share....
Some says a burning fire reduces smell..Like that of a candle..(It may have to do something with the utilization of oxygen while burning..with some of the air is used some fresh air will take its place thus reducing the smell)
Some says vinegar absorbs smell so a small container with vinegar reduces the smell..But you will not be able to use it anymore so have to through the vinegar away..
And the most important and most practical...keep the surroundings well aerated. Close the doors to all the other rooms... Put on your A.C. Or open as much doors and windows as possible...so that the smell dissipates into the air... But Westerners tell not to use scented candles in the kitchen or dining room... don't allow its smell to compete with the smell of the food... I absolutely follow that as I think the smell of food increases the appetite than the smell of scented candles. I hope this will help you...

Post a Comment