Creating a blog was out of the question for a long time for me, as measuring everything in the kitchen was like biting into an eggshell. I enjoy cooking and don’t want to waste even a slightest bit of enjoyment in that small world of mine. But little did I know that everything will change, when my husband came home with the Oscar nominated film ‘Julie and Julia’( a real life story) where Julie Powell (part played by Amy Adams) challenged herself to make all the 524 recipes from Julia Child's cook book ‘Mastering the Art of French Cooking’ and blogging all her experiences (The Julie/Julia Project). It was an inspiring movie. A few days later when we were discussing this casually with a friend of ours over tea…everything changed dramatically…..” How about you making at least half of it in one year? Not French but your own. 262 recipes that will inspire others and present it as a blog?” For a minute my mind traveled faster than light… With an experience as a helper in my mother in laws kitchen for 6 years followed by a three year everyday struggle to satisfy the palate of my foodie husband, if I cannot do it then why should I cook? But on the other side with an experience in English literature extending no more than expanding outline stories in English grammar class when I was 18 and two small kids that come in handy at times, will a commitment for the next one year work? Anyway my ‘cook's ego’ didn’t allow me to say no...

So my friends …here I am opening my recipe book, trying to perfect and present 262 recipes in the coming 365 days….A Challenge that will of course tastes good. Come.. Have a walk with me along my journey.. Cheering and inspiring….Forgiving and tolerating…Testing and tasting….for ‘A Tasty Challenge’

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Thai Red Curry Chicken

Recipe No: 32
Lately, when I was roaming through the Asian section of our grocery store, I came across this Thai Red and Green curry pastes. It really captured my curiosity as I was a fan of Thai Cuisine. This was my very first attempt to make Thai Red Curry Chicken and I have to say the outcome surprised me and when it was combined with Thai style Fried Rice, man it was awesome…
Ingredients                                                                      Serves 6-8
  • Clean Skinless Boneless Chicken …500 grams (I prefer Thigh or a combination of Thigh and Breast pieces)
  • Vegetable/ Canola oil………………………....1 Teaspoon
  • Thai Red Curry Paste…………………………2 ½ Teaspoon
  • Thick coconut milk………………………….....19 fl oz (560 ml/ 2 1/3 cups)
  • Brinjal or egg plant cut into big pieces….....3-4 small
  • Fish Sauce………………………………………….2 Tablespoons
  • Dried Basil………………………………………….1/2 Teaspoon (If you have fresh Basil use 1 Teaspoon chopped)
  • Shredded Jaggery……………………………….1/2 -1 Teaspoon (Use Palm Sugar if you have)
Method of Preparation
  1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the Red curry paste till the raw smell is gone and oil oozes out. (Curry paste contains a lot of oil and because of that oil will ooze out while frying.)
  2. Add half of the coconut milk and mix well.
  3. Add Chicken pieces and one cup of water. Close the pan with a lid and cook. (At this stage curry may look curdled. But it is okay and in time it will become smooth and good.)
  4. When Chicken is cooked through, add Brinjal or Eggplant slices and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
  5. Add the rest of the Coconut milk, Basil, Fish Sauce and Jaggery. Let it boil one more time and this is ready to be served.
Notes:  Don’t be afraid if the curry look curdled at first. I even thought of saving the Chicken and throwing the gravy out. But as I waited for 2 more minutes I saw it coming around and the end result was truly magnificent.
This may be good without Fish sauce, but if you are looking for that true Thai taste don’t leave it out.
Fish sauce and the Red Curry Paste are available in the sauce or Asian section of most of the Grocery stores.
Don’t leave the Eggplant out. Those are very delicious in this Curry.
I used our good Indian Jaggery as an alternative to Palm Sugar which is used commonly in the Thai  cuisine and it worked perfectly.
To my surprise Basil smells more or less like Thulsi and one of my friends told me that in India, Thulsi is used as a substitute to Basil.

 







Make it, enjoy the deliciousness and
serve it to your family with love….

0 comments:

Post a Comment